These are so good (or oniony) that they will make you cry. Those oniony tears will turn to tears of joy however when you try these on your favorite sandwiches, burgers, veggies, crackers with cheese, etc. etc.
· 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
· 2 sweet onions (such as Vidalia onions), cut into thin strips
· 1 tsp brown sugar
· 3 tsp Bacon Salt
· Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Add butter and oil to a cold non-stick skillet; melt the butter over high heat.
2. Once the butter melts, stir in the onions, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of Bacon Salt.
3. Let it cook, stir on occasion until the onion softens down and is slightly wilted. This should take about 5~10 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stir often until the onions turn to deep brown color. It usually takes me about 40~50 minutes to cook down and caramelize the onion but be patient.
5. TIP: pay close attention to the pan or your onions are going to burn. Stir often and check the pan as once the onions start to brown they can burn quickly.
6. Once you achieve the color and caramelization that you are looking for take off the heat. Add a dash of water, and season it with the rest of the Bacon Salt and pepper.